Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Downfall of Dallas Farmers Market

The news I have been reading on the the demise of the Dallas Farmers Market due to evident miss managment just makes me sad. This is a Dallas area landmark that had stood the test of time with many consumers depending on the produce there.
My opinion of the downfall is just what a customer of mine told me. The produce is predominately not locally grown. She went on further to say when you can by fruit at the market in the winter months, you know it isn't from Texas! Even from South Texas.
I hope this is a wake up call for smaller farmers market to police their attendents and verify that they are growing it.  We have a farmers market here that has been around for many years and most of the sellers are resellers of produce purchased from the Dallas Farmers Market commodity sellers from Shed 4 and outlying buildings.
I am not saying these commodity movers are not a neccessary part of our food supply, but to advertise these as locally grown is just not honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment